Wednesday 12 October 2016

The Last Books I Read


book review


Firstly, I’d just like to say I haven’t actually been reading Joyce’s Ulysses. I do intend to get round to it one day, just not now. No, I usually read books on my Kindle and that’s just not that pretty to photograph. Real books are much more aesthetically pleasing, so I’m sorry if I lured you in with Ulysses. 


It’s been a while since I shared my last reads with you so here’s three of my recent reads. First up is Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84. Boy, did this take me a long time to read and I originally gave up on it but Murakami is one of my favourite authors so I was interested to see where he was going to go with it. 1Q84 is spread over three long novels (personally I think it could do with a bit of editing, but whatever). If you’re new to Murakami I probably wouldn’t advise starting with this book, go with some of his earlier works first then come to this. Anyway, at the core of this book are two characters Tengo and Aomame. The scope of this book is impressive but in some ways it’s also its downfall. It’s a meditation on time with lots of nods to Marcel Proust’s In Search of Lost Time. It’s also, at it’s heart, a love story. There’s also of course lots about Japanese culture and history that unfortunately bypass me. But that’s one of the joys of reading Murakami, it can be read at different levels so even if you’re not clued up on say Japanese current affairs or Proust you’ll still get a rewarding experience. I’m a big Murakami fan but I did find this hard work at times but I’m glad I stuck it out.


book review


After Murakami’s 1Q84 I read another Japanese author Keigo Higashino. He’s described as the Japanese Stieg Larsson, but I haven’t read any of those books so can’t say if that’s a good comparison or not. Malice is my first book by Higashino and I absolutely loved it. Malice is a wonderfully clever whodunnit. The story revolves around the death of a successful author. The plot device of an unreliable narrator is executed brilliantly here. If you love crime thrillers with twists and turns and red herrings all over the place I highly recommend this. 

I then moved away from Japanese authors to the French crime writer Frederic Dard. Bird in a Cage is a short novella at just 120 (ish) pages. This French noir is crafted so perfectly and so full of suspense, in fact in many ways it reminded me of Hitchcock. It’s melancholic, tense and at times almost descending into farce. I don’t really want to say too much about the plot but here’s the synopsis from Amazon:

“She seems alone and defenceless when he speaks to her in the busy brasserie, all decked out for Christmas Eve. When she invites him back to her apartment, he can't believe his luck. Later, when her husband's body lies dead at the foot of the Christmas tree he realises his nightmare is only beginning... Take care when unwrapping your presents, they can sometimes contain nasty surprises.”

Another book I can’t recommend highly enough. I’ll definitely be reading more Dard but I couldn’t read one after the other. It genuinely made me a bit anxious (in a good way). 



Have you read any of these? What are you currently reading?


Share:

11 comments

  1. Life is too short to read Ulysses. So many hours I could have spent ... reading something else on my list, probably.

    Lis / last year's girl x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha buying it still counts as something though right? ;)

      Delete
  2. YES! I love IQ84, and am a big Murakami fan (although yes, prob not the best intro book - Kafka on the Shore or Norwegian Wood are more accessible). Will have to add Malice to my reading list now - thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so impressed with Malice, definitely worth a read.

      Delete
  3. Great post, always looking for reading inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! it's always nice, especially at this time of year, to have a good selection of books to read cuddled up in bed, perhaps with a hot toddy ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad I read this post of yours. Lately, I've found so much comfort in reading as it's one of few things I do away from the computer. I recently finished Revenge by Yoko Ogawa which I'd highly recommend if you like something a bit on the twisted/thriller side. It's very short but it's amazing how all the characters connect. Murakami's Hard boiled wonderland is probably my favourite read of his so far. I'm not sure what to go for next. I'm definitely going to look up Malice though. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Revenge but it's been in my list for ages. I love Hardboiled Wonderland too, definitely one of my favourites and Dance Dance Dance. I highly recommend Malice, so brilliantly written and crafted.

      Delete
  5. Ulysses is in my Booklist but I feel that still not ready for it. Don't know why((
    xo
    Stacy

    http://tastyrumors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I get that, feels like a book you need to be ready for :)

      Delete
    2. I've started IQ84 a couple of times and given up. You've persuaded me to try again; he is a fab writer. Thank you for the other recommendations. I've just finished reading Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by, Tom Franklin, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

      Delete

Hello there! Please feel free to leave me a message, I'd love to hear from you. (Please refrain from posting spam (follow for follow, giveaways, ads, and so on, thanks!)

© A Y E .. L I N E D | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig